10/09/2011

the highlight of my summer!



This summer I decided I didn't want a 9-5 job as usual so I opted for a volunteer position at an orphanage here in Abuja. I must say, the hours I put in there have been the most stressful/tiring hours I have ever known but spending time with the kids beat all that hands down!



It was quite interesting, I turned up for work every other day in jeans & a t-shirt with my hair tied back but they always managed to mess up even such a simple look. I was forced to wash my hair more often than usual because these kids were on some jungle book hype; climbing everything including my head. No jokes! I won't forget receiving my first punch in the eye on my 1st day at work. The many pinches from angry kids and a nasty bite that left a visible mark and swelling on my thigh for over a week! I quickly learnt the kids to avoid and resorted to hanging out with the nicer ones. Lol.


It's a bit sad to note that not all the kids at the orphanage are actually orphans. Some of those adorable kids were dumped by their biological mothers almost immediately after they were born. How ironic; I hang out with these kids every other day, wishing I could take them all home meanwhile, the one human who should love them more than me actually discarded them like yesterdays playthings. Not nice. :(

xoxo
Miss Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. I do appreciate all your lovely comments and support! x